- This event has passed.
Virtual Author Visit | Courtney Defriend
April 15 @ 9:30 am - 10:15 am PDT
We are all connected!
This very special virtual author visit will feature Courtney Defriend, Coast Salish author, and inspiration behind our Earth Day event series theme of We are All Connected
Courtney will be joining us to read her book, If Instead of a Person. This story imaginatively explores the wisdom to be learned from living as a tree. Using child-friendly rhyming verse, Courtney Defriend thoughtfully ponders a tree’s steadfast connection and vital contribution to life on earth. Reinforced by Terra Mar’s powerful illustrations, If Instead of a Person invites readers to become change agents that respect the interconnectedness of nature and humanity.
We are developing resources to help your learners dive deeper into this one, and explore the themes of our connections to each other and to nature.
Book links above are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission.
When: Thursday, April 15th @ 9:30am PST / 12:30pm EST
Length: 45 Minutes
What: Virtual Author Visit with Courtney Defriend
Who: Everyone Welcome – Designed for K-Grade 5
Hosted By: Joyful Learning & Simbi
Curricular Connections: Language Arts, Science
Times are approximate – we will do our best to keep the event within 45 minutes.
- Welcome (5mins)
- Author’s Presentation (20 mins)
- Brief introduction to the author and her book.
- Storytime: If Instead of a Person
- Spend a little time unpacking the key lessons of the story
- Q & A with the Author (10 mins)
- Brief Virtual Classroom Tour (5 mins)
- Wrap Up (5 mins)
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Learners of all ages are welcome. Content is designed for kids in Kindergarten through Grade 5 who are doing in-person learning, remote learning, and homeschooling.
- Take a break as your students get restless. You can complete the event later via the YouTube Livestream. Zoom Meeting Tickets also include Livestream access.
- Continue learning after the event with our Virtual Classroom and other learning resources. We’ll spend a few minutes at the end of the event with a student focused tour of what you can do. Our learning resources are designed especially for teachers and homeschool families, who would like to dig deeper into the content and themes. Information about the learning resources will also be posted on the event webpage.
This event is hosted in partnership with Simbi.
Having difficulties getting registered for this event? Click here for alternative registration form.